goodwordvomit.

Monday, February 8, 2010

may I clarify

I hereby declare this the last blog entry I write about Jordan Hughes.

At least that is my current intent, and it looks at least 70% very well possible.

I talked to him last night, and we clarified some things. For example, he didn't know what the word "platonic" meant, so when I asked him if that's the kind of friendship he'd want, he didn't really know what I was saying.
And, apparently, I didn't know what exclusive dating (boyfriend-girlfriendism) meant, and when I had slightly mentioned that possibility, he thought it was a much greater commitment than what I was saying.
His definition: A boyfriend doesn't have any interest in any other woman but his girlfriend.
My definition: A boyfriend is testing commitment to one girl, but he's still looking around to see if she's the best he can do. Of course, he picks the best girl he knows, so his liking for her is sincere, but he still has his eye out to make sure this is secure. His eye out, on other girls, yes.

Another valuable clarification: he explained was not leading me on in the sense that he didn't like me as much as I liked him. He thought I wanted to be his girlfriend, and he thought he was leading me on in the sense that he made it seem like he wanted to be completely committed to me. Which isn't what I want, as defined above in the two senses of "boyfriend". The difference to what I was assuming is ENORMOUS. He's not at all as villainous as I had previously judged.

So I felt a lot better about everything after we clarified these things. At the same time, I felt bad about how I was so passionate about my original interpretation of his behavior on our last date, when I began the conversation by calling him an A-hole. Except the real word.

That's as strong as my language got, but it was startling. I do appreciate a good retard word every once in a while. While I maintain the opinion that cuss words aren't as intelligent as other word choice, cuss words can enhance some things. Like Shaun of the Dead wouldn't be as hilarious without profanity. "Suicide Pact" by Picnicface* wouldn't either. And likewise, the one cuss word I used during the argument is justified.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VRI7dcVGI

No comments: