goodwordvomit.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

"I like pretty pictures"

I have the habit of making people feel stupid when I make fun of them. I made Jordan feel dumb and he laughed about it. That's good, right? Well, yeah, as long as he points it out like he did on this trip, because I infrequently apologize for teasing, and I only do when someone complains about it. I hope he wasn't offended. Oh well.
Situation 1:
J "I like pretty pictures."
C "I do, too. I also drink water and breathe oxygen."
Situation 2 (basically the same thing):
J "I heard that girls like shiny things."
C "Yeah, they do. They also eat food and drink water."
Get it.. Everyone likes pretty pictures, everyone likes shiny things... He got it. He felt stupid.

But he's not stupid. On his holiday on Monday, he's planning on studying. And he worked in a bioinformatics lab? something like that? I probably don't have to say it out loud, but I was really impressed with that.
This Jordan Hughes fellow... (P-Pack likes him, too, and I think he likes her just as much as he likes me so I shouldn't be too worried about him being in love with me, aka another unrequited-love MattWilcoxish case.) But, oh yes, we've talked about marriage. It was kind of forced on us, but still delicious. On the way up to Vegas, Jordan and I shared a row with Abby Alger, who is married and only a year older than I am (for reference), and she told us her relationship story, about how she was eighteen when she met this R.M., Josh, who fell in love with her after they'd been dating for 3 weeks and was thinking about marriage at that point. Then she broke up with him and they got back together five months later, then got married four months after that, so she was barely nineteen.

I was gasping half the time, especially when she mentioned how old she was when all of this was going down, and I don't think I was overreacting, but the fact that I was gasping at her being in a serious relationship as an eighteen-year-old got the message across that I was not relationship-inclined at all, and, probably that I wasn't marriage-inclined either. Which is true, in an immediate sense, but with my extreme shaking and squirming, it seemed like I had no desire to get married ever. I like to think Jordan was taking that in, and not liking it because of some inclination involving me, but I don't have any real evidence for that idea, so it's probably invalid.
Jordan and I did everything short of holding hands. We walked together most of the time, we stood and sat next to each other a lot, and we made a lot of contact in doing so (like, squishing just a little, leaning just a little, whatever) which is indicative of some comfort with each other, and it could easily mean more to me than it does to him, but I can't help but notice that he looks me straight in the eyeballs every time I look at him, and longer than I can take, not that I don't love it. I'm not desperate, I think. I just really like the attention. And I like him, too.

No comments: