You have to be a certain shape to earn the privilege of going on runs outside. I was thinking about it upon observing a group of three girls running by me on the way home. They were all lean and very fit. One day that will be me. I wish I could put weight loss goals on a spreadsheet and sort of figure it out mathematically, but even with a calorimeter, everything is so unpredictable and inaccurate, generally. There's no formula or equation, as I'd wish there were. I mean, my calorimetry software does the simple addition/subtraction of calorie intake/exertion, but there's no formula to figure out the weight I should lose. Even when I add the deficit and divide by 3500. Because I could have drunk three cups of water four hours ago, and then the weight measurement is totally off.
For the last three days I haven't been making any effort to keep the calorimeter on, and I haven't exercised in like a week and a half, ever since my knee started hurting. So I got a knee-brace on eBay, and when it comes, I'm doing everything hard-core again. You better believe I will. With everything, including the academics. I love my excel-planning.
So.. today in English I exploded. We're in the process of researching for a synthesis essay due at the end of the term, and since it's a nonfictional type of writing everyone thinks it's not okay to personalize it. For example, two different people asked aloud if we're not supposed to use "I" in the entire essay.
This is what pisses me off. Last paper we wrote was a rhetorical analysis from passages of a book the class is reading, and I got comments from people in my group saying I used "I" too much. These kids don't know anything, and it's annoying when they think they know more than I do.
So when the second person asked that aloud, I looked straight at him and asked, "Why the heck wouldn't you use 'I'?" in a you-stupid-idiot tone. And then people started to argue with me, saying that you can't use "I" in a research paper unless you're an expert. And they were right, and that is an argument FOR use of the first-person. Obviously after researching the topic, you should be an expert on it. After that little scuttlebutt, they were still frustrated with me, and they were not convinced to do anything differently. I kind of suck at arguing, no matter how right I am. I just get people mad.
No comments:
Post a Comment