Last night I went on the MAX intercity train with a vague idea of what I was going to do in Portland, much like we would when we would go 'on safari' in New York City back when we lived in that area. I really didn't do anything that extravagant; I just did what I needed, like go to Verizon for a phone that works; bought what I needed for work at the mall, like a belt and undershirts and socks. I was really excited for a real Portland safari though. I wanted to go to a $10 indie show, if they have those. I didn't realize how limited my time is on Saturday nights until last night, because everything closes SO EARLY. I only had a couple hours to shop at the Lloyd Center let alone make a night of it. When the mall closed at NINE FIFTEEN (on a saturday night??) I went over to the movie theater and watched Eclipse (which rocked my world, by the way, regardless of how weird it is to those of you girls and gay boys who haven't given reading Twilight a chance) and upon buying my ticket, I asked the cashier if there is a fast food place nearby I can grab dinner, THERE ISN'T (um.. we're in the city, right?) but there's an Applebee's that closes at 10, two blocks away.. and it's 9:56.. so I spent 8.75 on a large drink and a calzone at the movie theater candy counter. It made for a disappointing dinner and a fairly unnecessarily large expenditure of dollars. If I could give a rating for Portland night life, it would be about the same as La Canada on a weeknight. An early weeknight. Because, even if we don't have a mall with an ice-skating rink, we've got a McDonald's that closes at ELEVEN, on a MONDAY! Applebee's in Portland should definitely pick up their game. and that goes for everything else in Portland, too.
The whole point of my journey last night was effectively fulfilled, though. I wanted to go out and do what I want. Every weekend I've been joining up with people and letting them plan everything and make the decisions, and it's been awesome, but I'm glad I got to finally get out and fulfill my own needs. Now I need to go fulfill my wants. Supposedly Portland has shows, and I'm going to find them and I'm going to smile so hard that I need to close my eyes and let it implode in my brain and surge back past behind my ears, and then I'll bow my all-smiling head to let the happy electric-purple feeling trickle down my body.
If you're wondering about my sales team, they've been here all summer and they haven't gone into the city once. They don't even know what food carts are. They've never heard of Voodoo donuts. and they're from Oregon. Last night they went to see Avatar at a park somewhere. I really wanted to go, but on second thought, why would I spend my Portland Saturday night time doing something they do in Provo on Monday nights? Oh, because it's expensive. I'm spoiled with spending money.
My dad is getting a formal job offer soon, and he's going to accept it. He'll be bringing in money again, supporting two less kids, and he's going to cushion me if I don't do well at this job. So basically, there's no more pressure to support myself. Sales became less about survival and more about competition and THE GAME. I'm going to beat this game. I'm out of my rut, I hope.
Anyway,
Jeggings.
No comments:
Post a Comment